Monday, July 24, 2017

Iyla Frances... her name and her story.

It's been years since of written anything on my blog. Mostly because life got very busy and I started using instagram more because... it's instant lol. This takes a little more time, but now that I have a new wee one, I'm going to want to document some things like I did with the others. In fact, this blog is where I went to read back and look at photos from when the other three were teeny tiny fresh babes. I'm so glad I took the time to put some of those posts together to look back on now. It's made me realize how valuable those posts really are now that I can look back. On that note, I want to introduce the world to my sweet baby girl, Iyla Frances Smart. Her name was something we went back and forth on for a WHILE. I don't think either one of us was ready to commit to anything until we saw her face to face. Now that she's here, I think it's the perfect fit and we couldn't be happier with it. Iyla is typically spelled "Isla", but in greek it is spelled "Iyla" and it means bright one/shining one. Frances comes from my Papa (Francis Elwood Murphy), who went to be with the Lord a few years ago. Frances means, free one. Her Papa will never get to kiss her sweet cheeks or hold her or watch her grow, so I love the thought that she will always carry a piece of such a wonderful and honorable man in a special way. I hope he knows his legacy will be carried on.

6lb 9oz, 19.5 inches long (7:17am 7/9/2017)



Now let's talk about Iyla's arrival! We moved into our townhouse July 2nd, did a lot of painting, and trying to settle in before baby. At about 12:30am on July 9th, I started timing my contractions and we eventually headed to the hospital and officially checked into triage at 3am with me being dialated to 6cm. That's a first for me for sure. I've never been that far along, but was pleasantly surprised! Probably helps that I was 3cm last time I was checked at my doctors appt. Anyways, I jammed out to music, bounced on a ball, had a wireless monitor on, and no IV. All at my request. Shady Grove and my doctor were awesome and were super supportive of me wanting to labor and deliver without being hooked up to a bunch of wires and stuck to a bed. It was the best experience I've ever had. I could manage my pain so much better being able to walk, bounce, and move however I felt. Before I knew it, I was 9cm and my water still hadn't broken. Right after 7am they broke my water and I had baby girl at 7:17! She was immediately placed on my chest, crying and beautiful. As soon as I started talking to her and wrapped my arms around her tiny little body, she completely calmed down. It was such a dreamy high of a moment that is hard to describe. She was here, and mine, and healthy and perfect. These pics are not super flattering by any stretch, but the moments are priceless and I don't want to forget them.










The kids meeting her for the first time...



Iyla and daddy

one whole day old!

heading home (july 10th)


My due date was officially July 12th, though my first sonogram put me at July 9th, they decided to never change it bc it was close enough to the 12th. It was exactly 3 years ago to the day that I had my double mastectomy. Crazy to think that that very hard and painful day is now replaced with the birth of my baby girl and probably right around the same time too. I'm so grateful that God planned things the way He did. I'm grateful for an addition I never asked for or imagined... for a baby that eats and sleeps like a champ and is adored by her siblings. She's only been here 2 weeks and she's already brought the 5 of us so much joy!

Here's some of my favorite photos (below) from the past two weeks of having her in our lives. Some things I want to remember about her... her hands are almost always open. I've never seen a newborn that didn't have their little hands balled up in fists most of the time. I love that she loves her hands. It's almost like she talks with them already even though she doesn't talk. She'll lay them daintily over her chest while she eats, or have one up near her face. When she's swaddled she prefers to make a way for her hands to get out and seems more comfortable that way (a lot like her oder sister). When you talk to her she's very alert and still like she's taking everything you're saying in. She tries to hold her little head up when I put her over my shoulder. She's smiled and even laughed in her sleep which has been so entertaining :)  Nyah has been a HUGE help around the house and with the baby. She's been doing laundry, dishes, feeding the baby, holding her when she fusses... it's been so cool to see her jump in and enjoy helping. The boys have also been super attentive and sweet with her. They constantly ask to hold her, enjoy loving on her, giving her a binky when she cries, and sing and talk to her. I had no idea they'd be so "into" her! It's really blessed me in a huge way to see the kids unite and help out and love it. Iyla clearly has them all wrapped around her little finger already! She's a quiet and happy baby. Unless she is hungry! The girl has upped her feeding about and frequency since she's been home a bit more than what's typically recommended which cracks me up bc she's so teeny tiny! She loves to be touched and caressed and held close. She's a little lover. When she's awake she likes to exercise and move all her limbs around, kicking and flailing. When she eats she makes little squeeky noises like a little drama queen who can't slow down and may drown in milk.  She rarely spits up which is new for me. I feel like the other three especially nyah and kylan were really good at spitting up. It's been so different having a baby, help from the other kids, and no toddler running around. It's been a completely different experience. One that I've enjoyed more than I imagined. God is good. Things are not perfect around here. Our house is still an unorganized mess from moving a week before she arrived, Neil had to go back to work the day after we arrived home from the hospital, but friends have been amazing, bringing meals, gifts, helping drive Nyah to dance so she can get back to some kind of normal without me dragging a newborn out constantly, and the kids have been enjoying her though they have been cooped up from time to time because of the heat. I feel very blessed over all. For a smooth labor and delivery, a healthy baby, and a smooth transition into life with 4 kids. The next big adventure has officially begun!


big brothers love

big sister love

chocolate chip pancakes!

I think they love her

hanging outside and feeling nice and warm

our first outing as a family

barber shop hangs and deep thoughts 

introducing her to her very own room 

Iyla with her slumber sloth

getting some love from Kylan

my four <3 td="">

two weeks old!
my bookends <3 td="">

my whole world


No comments: